Trail Closures & Reroutes
The development of and the maintenance of a footpath by a volunteer organization is always a work in progress. Changes to the trails do happen between Guidebook publication dates for a variety of reasons.
Please obtain a current Edition 7 to avoid having out of date trail information.
Please contact the us with any questions, concerns, errors or omissions to the guidebook at email@example.com.
Summary for Guidebook Edition 7 (2015):
- Trail Closure and reroute (effective September 2016). At the request of a landowner, adjacent to the parking lot at the end of Powerline Road (km 53.3), the Grand Valley Trail (GVT) is closed (red line above). At km 53.3 the trail passes north through the parking lot following the S. C. Johnson Trail for about 700 (blue line above) passing a set of concrete and pipe barriers on each side of the rail trail. Shortly after the barriers, the GVT turns left at about 43.179085, -80.354900 leaving the S. C. Johnson Trail. [Note that there should be a left turn blaze on the edge of the S.C. Johnson Trail. However, that blaze tends to periodically “disappear”.] Once the trail leaves the rail trail, it rejoins the original trail, follows the bend in the river and continues to the end of Curtis Ave S. at km 56.3. Note that this re-route along the S. C. Johnson Trail does not materially impact the overall distance. Revised Map 8
- Reroute of main trail, Black Walnut section (effective October 2015). Due to a new aggregate operation (gravel pit), the Grand Valley Trail, from km 9.3 to Cedar Creek Road as shown on Map 9 in Edition 7.0, is now closed (see series of X’s on map image above). The trail has been rerouted along roads as shown on the map image. Please follow the reroute shown on the map above. That is, coming from the south, after the Dryden Tract, turn left on Alps Road for 1.2 km; turn right on Regional Road 47 (Dumfries Road) for 1.6 km; turn right on Cedar Creek Rd for 0.8 km and join the existing trail with a left turn near what was km 12.0 and is now km 12.9. This reroute adds about 0.9 km to the main trail compared to the old route. Revised Map 9
- Reminder, Black Walnut section. At km 3.7, south side of Beke road across from Sudden Tract, there are signs that read "No Trespassing". We have been assured by the landowner that this does NOT apply to hikers. The owners wants to keep bikes , ATVs, dirt bikes and horses off his property.
- Reroute Main Trail, Black Walnut Section, Idlewood Creek area (Effective April 2016) After the last house the trail turns left passing between houses out to Edgewater Cres. It turns right along the sidewalk a short distance and past a private street. Just before 264 Edgewater Cres it veers right for a few metres along a groomed path/sidewalk. At approximately km 34.0 (coordinates 43.443353, -80.405933) the trail no longer enters a woodlot. The trail turns left along a multipurpose, stonedust trail and proceeds for about 400 m before veering right and across Idlewood Creek on a steel bridge. After crossing the bridge the trail veers right following the creek (on the right) for about 700 m and arriving at Woolner Trail (formerly Zeller Drive) [formerly km 34.4]. Turning right, the trail descends to the end of Woolner Trail at the Grand River, where it turns left onto a crushed stone trail, which is part of the Walter Bean Grand River Trail (WBGRT). About 50 m along the crushed stone path, the GVT veers right along a footpath in a wooded area closer to the river. ... This reroute alone adds approximately 0.7 km to the main trail. The old km 34.4 becomes km 35.1. Revised Map 10
- Trail Closure and reroute, Snyder's Flats.(effective November 2015) At the request of the landowner of the Preston Sand and Gravel portion of Snyder’s Flats, the Grand Valley Trail has been closed and rerouted starting at km 50.9 as shown on the map. The trail (solid red line), starting at km 50.9, turns right (north) and proceeds to Snyder’s Flats Road. At the road, opposite the Bloomingdale Mennonite Church, the trail turns right (east) following Snyder’s Flats Road to Sawmill Road at the Bloomingdale Park and Community Centre (formerly km 56.8, Edition 7). This closure/reroute removes about 5 km of the main Grand Valley Trail. Revised Map 11